Several years ago, the TRA Board of Directors renamed the volunteer service award in honor of Rich Higgins, a former member and president of the Board until his untimely death in 2014.
The Rich Higgins Service Award, is a way to acknowledge someone who has provided outstanding service to the Tano Road neighborhood. This year, the Board voted to honor Helen Swinson. Art Jensen, President of the Board, presented the award to her at the Neighborhood Nosh on June 16.
Helen and her husband, Wayne, moved to Santa Fe in 2011 from Oklahoma where they both worked in the airline industry. They looked at houses in many neighborhoods before buying in the Tano Road area.
It didn’t take long for Helen to learn about the neighborhood and develop a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. Helen threw herself into Tano Road activities.
- She joined the Association.
- She studied the issues impacting our neighborhood.
- She familiarized herself with issues related to water, growth, development, and safety.
- She and Wayne joined the security patrol where Wayne is still active.
- Helen has given tirelessly of her own time, most notably on the Membership Committee.
- She organized the first book club and suggested the idea for the cooking club.
She’s helped organize countless events including Noshes, New Comers’ parties and annual meetings. She’s one of the first persons to arrive for set up and the last to leave, ensuring the host’s home is left clean.
We are lucky to have a wonderful neighbor such as Helen and this seems a small honor for a woman with such a large heart.